Author Topic: Newb question on old graphics card  (Read 4696 times)

aquadoll

• Associate
Newb question on old graphics card
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:02:27 PM »
This is a complete newb question (as newb as you can think). I have an old graphics card in a system with this spec: "GeForce MX4000 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP". Today I ran the current version of GPU CAPS Viewer (GPUCV) on the card, and it correctly identifies it as "Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce MX4000". I have a few questions on a few other statistics reported:
1. Report: Mem 0MB.
    Question: The card should have 128MB memory. Is this a problem with the corresponding info not available in GPUCV database?
2. Report: Cores: n/a.
    Question: Again, is this a problem with the corresponding info not available in GPUCV database? If it is, is there any way for me to know how many shader cores are there?
3. Report: OpenGL: Core 1.1 - GLSL: 0.00.
    Question: Can this be updated by updating the driver, or is this hardware dependent? I have a pretty old driver from 2004 ...
I am planning to update the graphics card, but before that, I wanted to get some knowledge about how these things work !! So these questions. Thanks for any/all pointers.

aquadoll

• Associate
Re: Newb question on old graphics card
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »
OK, just by updating the driver to the latest available (in this case Oct 2006) changed the following in the report:
1. Report: Mem: 128MB. So, (1) resolved. Don't know the relation to the driver, but the value is correct.
3. Report: OpenGL: Core 1.5-GLSL: 1.10. So, I guess, the answer to (3) above is that this can be updated if the driver supports it. Interestingly, the driver download page says: Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 2.0 support. Wondering, why is the reported version says Core 1.5. Is that a hardware limitation?
Answer to (2) is still unresolved.

JeGX

• Global Moderator
  • Capo Crimine
    • oZone3D.Net
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »
I think the GeForce MX4000 is an OpenGL 1.5 capable card that's why GPU Caps says OpenGL 1.5 even if the driver exposes OpenGL 2.0 API for cards that support GL 2.0.

For the answer (2), the GeForce MX 4000 entry in GPU Caps internal DB has empty fields.
I don't know if the MX 4000 has programmable vertex or pixels processors...

aquadoll

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »
Thanks.
"I think the GeForce MX4000 is an OpenGL 1.5 capable card that's why GPU Caps says OpenGL 1.5 .."
Is this information coming from GPU CAPS database, or GPUCV programmatically trys out features to determine this?

Do you have any idea how #2 information can be found out? Is there another program, or another database or another source ... ?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:16:22 PM by aquadoll »

Stefan

• Consigliere
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 11:31:58 AM »
Check out "The Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide", no OpenGL infos though.
Systeminfo: CPU-Z - GPU-Z - GPUCapsViewer