Author Topic: Graphics Card Fail at 76C  (Read 5762 times)

ahal89

• Associate
Graphics Card Fail at 76C
« on: June 02, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »
Lately when I've been playing games (not necessarily graphics intensive ones, like BF1942) my screen becomes full of multi-colored squares, forcing me to reset the motherboard.

I have a GTX 260, Core 2 Duo processor and a 630W PSU (XION Simple Power 630W ATX Power Supply). 

I decided to use FurMark along with RivaTuner to stress test/monitor my GPU.  On the stability test, whenever my core temp reaches exactly 76 degrees Celsius (not particularly hot) I get a full green screen and have to reboot.  My card idles below 50 degrees and CPU temps are normal throughout.  I can run the benchmark test fine (though the core temp doesn't reach 76).  Fan speed is set to 100%.

I used to be able to play games like Far Cry 2 perfectly fine, and the only difference between now and then was an extra hd.  So at first I thought it was lack of power.  However according to all the PSU calculators I tried, I should have more than enough power for my system.  I built my computer about 4 months ago and haven't had any problems until now.

As my card obviously isn't overheating, the only thing I can think of is its not getting enough power, which still doesn't really make sense unless my PSU is faulty.

Any ideas/help is appreciated.

P.S  When it failed running BF1942 the fan speed was only set to 40%.  I haven't reproduced it with that game since adjusting fan speed.  Still reproducible with BF2 and FC2.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:44:29 PM by ahal89 »

Stefan

• Consigliere
Re: Graphics Card Fail at 76C
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
Did you create an overclocking profile with Rivatuner? If so, go back to stock clocks.
Systeminfo: CPU-Z - GPU-Z - GPUCapsViewer

ahal89

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:25:34 AM »
Nah, I've never overclocked it.

JeGX

• Global Moderator
  • Capo Crimine
    • oZone3D.Net
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
Have you tried another PSU (Seasonic, Thermaltake thoughpower, ...) ? The theoretical power of your PSU is good enough but you have to be sure of its quality.