Author Topic: 4870 Crossfire Working Now  (Read 9993 times)

Quel

• Thug
4870 Crossfire Working Now
« on: August 27, 2008, 08:08:43 AM »
Looks like all the problems are fixed with 8.8.  I got a much better score with my 2 4870's on Furmark than I ever have had ~4k-6k in the past.  Now i've beaten the past guy by 1 point.  http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/furmark_scores.php

Hurray!

Also my specs arent anything special.

E3110 @ stock 3.0ghz
2gb of ddr3 corsair @ stock timings
Intel X48 boxy
2x 4870 vanilla cores 512mb @ stock timing
800w ES-800 psu

I've always noticed that in the past crossfire didn't seem like it was working but now it does... odd

JeGX

• Global Moderator
  • Capo Crimine
    • oZone3D.Net
Re: 4870 Crossfire Working Now
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 01:16:15 PM »
Cool news Quel  :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Quel

• Thug
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »
One thing I haven't been able to find on the forums is why a crossfire setup will show up as 1 GPU under furmark.  Is it due to the way the xp driver handles the gpu?   I've noticed in some applications like gpuz that my crossfire is considered disabled even though I have many signs pointing towards it being on... like having over 11k on furmark and seeing the crossfire "scrolling" on the startup of games

Quel

• Thug
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »
One more thing...

I'm in mountain time us so when I first wrote that it was hastey and non-informative (was half awake at the time.)  I did do a little bit of changes to get crossfire to work correctly.  I ran it as etqw.exe to remove the throttling thing and to run the correct profile of crossfire (there's like 3 different modes crossfire can run in *scissoring, alternate frame, and supertiling.*)   I highly recommend that you run the fans at 55% or so especially if you are using a board like the intel x48 where the 2 4870's are right next to each other.  I am really interested to see if trifire or quadfire work with furmark running the etqw.exe profile.

Underground78

• Associate
    • Radio Fr Solo - Ecoutez la radio sur Internet simplement !
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 07:56:10 AM »
One more thing...

I'm in mountain time us so when I first wrote that it was hastey and non-informative (was half awake at the time.)  I did do a little bit of changes to get crossfire to work correctly.  I ran it as etqw.exe to remove the throttling thing and to run the correct profile of crossfire (there's like 3 different modes crossfire can run in *scissoring, alternate frame, and supertiling.*)   I highly recommend that you run the fans at 55% or so especially if you are using a board like the intel x48 where the 2 4870's are right next to each other.  I am really interested to see if trifire or quadfire work with furmark running the etqw.exe profile.

Hello,

Running FurMark with CrossFire activated as etqw.exe has made my two HD2600XT cards used (before only one was used) but where is still no improvement on the score for me ...

Quel

• Thug
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
isnt the architecture of crossfire different than crossfire-x?  besides that though, are you getting a better score than using 1 gpu?  Also in ccc make sure that everything is set for the application to control along with catalyst AI set at standard.

Underground78

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 06:46:45 PM »
isnt the architecture of crossfire different than crossfire-x?  besides that though, are you getting a better score than using 1 gpu?  Also in ccc make sure that everything is set for the application to control along with catalyst AI set at standard.

In fact both score are identical but when Crossfire mode is set both cards are used at 99% whereas when CrossFire mode is deactivated only one card is used ... It's like two GPU used at 99% were equal to one GPU used at 99%. Catalyst AI is set at standard.

4var1

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 07:08:20 PM »
I don't get any change renaming to etqw.exe either today - I'm sure I did before - however it works just as well for me either way:

[img=http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/6392/furrytx3.th.jpg]

This is my score with my 4870x2 overclocked to 860/975

I can only get both gpus running under XP though - just can't do it using 2008 x64 which is my preferred OS.

I'm quite happy! :)

ben
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 07:15:42 PM by 4var1 »

Quel

• Thug
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »
Underground:  is furmark the only application in which you do not see an increase?  I'm not too familiar with the 2600xt.  would you like me to post my ccc profile somewhere for download?

4var1: nice work there!  now i know what to expect when and if i go with water and overclock.  atm though i'm quite happy running air with higher speed rpms on the fans.  everything's at stock though.

Underground78

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
Underground:  is furmark the only application in which you do not see an increase?  I'm not too familiar with the 2600xt.  would you like me to post my ccc profile somewhere for download.

No, I have the same problem with another software which uses OpenGL too ...

Quel

• Thug
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 05:24:34 PM »
have you tried clearing your old cat drivers in safe mode before installing 8.8?  I didn't have to do that going from 8.6 to 8.8 on a new build.

Underground78

• Associate
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 05:26:21 PM »
have you tried clearing your old cat drivers in safe mode before installing 8.8?  I didn't have to do that going from 8.6 to 8.8 on a new build.

No, I don't try this but the version displayed by GPU-Z is correct ...