Author Topic: Wow guys, just... wow :D  (Read 12375 times)

Murmandamus

• Thug
Wow guys, just... wow :D
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:20:33 PM »
Hi all,

Since I'm new to these forums (and to Demoniak) I just wanted to introduce myself. So, Hi :)  (btw gotta love this one: :bruce: )

Anyway, I've been looking for something ready-to-use that incorporates 3D graphics and physics, and scripting (preferably Lua) for some prototyping/experimenting. Been looking for stuff like this on and off for years. There are many options out there, but most of it is not very easy to get started in at all, or is missing just a little something I need, or requires too much time and effort before being able to use it at all for what I want, or is just plain quirky. So I was almost ready to roll my own (by combining some existing rendering and physics and scripting engines). Not that it's easier, but at least I'll know what I get and how to use it.

But now I found Demoniak, and I just have to say, it looks like EXACTLY what I need. Of course, I'm happy that I don't need to roll my own now, because it's a major hassle. But also from what I've seen so far in the last hour or so (which is when I found Demoniak), it looks really well done. Easy to use and still very powerful. I think I'm gonna love this. Way to go!

Cheers

JeGX

• Global Moderator
  • Capo Crimine
    • oZone3D.Net
Re: Wow guys, just... wow :D
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 04:30:45 PM »
Hi Murmandamus
welcome to the demoniak community  :twisted:

You said it, programming such a tool is a real hassle, but feedbacks like yours are a nice reward. I hope Demoniak3D will still make you happy at the end of the day  ;)

I started the coding of Demoniak3D 2.x with cooler features. So if you like the current Demoniak3D, you'll be mad about the next  :crazy:  Stay tuned...

Murmandamus

• Thug
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »
Sounds great. Is there a roadmap or something where I can read about some of the planned new features? Or will I just have to wait and see  :med:

JeGX

• Global Moderator
  • Capo Crimine
    • oZone3D.Net
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:12:59 PM »
I think you have to wait and see. I'll put some news to the blog as soon as an alpha release is available.

Murmandamus

• Thug
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:18:23 PM »
Cheers, I'll stay tuned then. :)

JeGX

• Global Moderator
  • Capo Crimine
    • oZone3D.Net
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
Don't forget to use this board: http://www.ozone3d.net/smf/index.php/board,33.0.html
to send your requests for the current and the new versions.

Murmandamus

• Thug
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »
By the way I noticed some (old) posts where people are asking about importing dll's into Lua. Here is the Lua function to do that:

http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#pdf-package.loadlib

But the problem is this. You can not just import and use any dll you want, only dll's that were meant to be called from Lua. This has to do with how the communication works between Lua and C. The conventional way implies that the dll you want to import, depends on the Lua engine also being in a separate dll, e.g. lua5.1.dll. If this file is missing, then it won't work. I'm guessing that Demoniak is statically linked to Lua, so this would be a problem. Just copying a valid Lua dll to the base folder might work in some cases, but it's tricky and will probably cause trouble.

Dynamically linking Demoniak to Lua might be an option, but it's also a can of worms in some cases (just like "require" and the whole module/package system, see the Lua mailing list archives). An additional problem is that the Lua dll would need to be in the Demoniak folder, while the imported 3rd-party dll would probably need to be in the base folder of your xml file. This means the imported dll still can't find the Lua dll.  :'(

So... Adding loadlib support to Demoniak would probably be very cool, but it's gonna require some deep thought... :bruce:

Also it brings a potentially unstable element into the Demoniak runtime environment.

/end of random thoughts

Murmandamus

• Thug
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:54:51 PM »
Don't forget to use this board: http://www.ozone3d.net/smf/index.php/board,33.0.html
to send your requests for the current and the new versions.

Ah, saw this too late. Yeah I'll remember, although for the time being, I'll be busy learning about what Demoniak *can* do, instead of what it *can't* do. I'm still so new to this lovely app :kimouss:

Murmandamus

• Thug
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »
On the subject of using external libraries from Lua, you may (or may not) find this interesting: http://luaforge.net/projects/alien/

irving

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 08:38:30 PM »
oh i forgot to introduced myself. I am irving by the way and i live in Philippines. It's nice to be here.